It has officially been confirmed that NY Giants general manager Joe Schoen works around the clock and sleep isn’t important to him with the playoffs here.
On Tuesday morning while a lot of you were still rolling out of bed or sipping on some coffee, Schoen was busy improving the roster leading up to Sunday’s tilt with the Minnesota Vikings. According to Giants insider Art Stapleton, NY has signed former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver James Washington to the practice squad.
Washington was one of multiple players who got in a workout with the G-Men earlier in the week. Now, we’ll have to wait and see if he ends up getting elevated and plays a role in the Wild Card Round showdown.
I’m told the #Giants are signing former Cowboys wide receiver James Washington to the practice squad, per sources.
Washington, 26, worked out with the team yesterday. More depth for #NYG at WR as they prep for Sunday’s playoff game at the Vikings.
— Art Stapleton (@art_stapleton) January 11, 2023
NY Giants sign WR James Washington to the practice squad
Washington isn’t a big-name WR by any means, but this is most definitely a solid depth signing and he could end up being someone to watch for the Vikings matchup. Throughout his career, Washington has suited up for the Steelers and Cowboys over the past five seasons – he’s best known for his days in Pittsburgh.
In 2022, Washington appeared in only two games for the Cowboys. He only received one target and didn’t post any receptions, leading to Dallas and Jerry Jones releasing him before the Week 18 finale vs. the Commanders.
Now, Washington will look to turn some heads at NY practices this week and show the staff he can make an impact. This could prove to be another under-the-radar deal that makes Schoen look like a genius. Keep a close eye on Washington over the next few days.
More NY Giants news:
• More interest has come in for offensive coordinator Mike Kafka. It was originally reported that the Carolina Panthers had requested permission to interview him for their head coaching opening, and now the Houston Texans have also asked to interview the young OC. It’s up in the air if Kafka will be back next season working under Brian Daboll.
• Wink Martindale is also expected to receive HC interest over the coming weeks. While there’s been no official word on an interview request for the veteran coach just yet, NFL insider Ian Rapoport said he believes Wink will get some serious looks. As things stand, there are five teams in search of a new head coach.
• In case you missed it, Pro Football Focus released its First Team All-Pro squad, with left tackle Andrew Thomas and defensive lineman Dexter Lawrence making the cut. Both these studs have been nothing short of fantastic for Big Blue this season.
• Countless headlines were made on Tuesday, with it being reported that the Arizona Cardinals will look to trade star wideout DeAndre Hopkins this offseason. Hopkins is a sensational talent and a lot of fanbases are calling for their GMs to try and land him. Keep in mind that Hopkins is turning 31 in June, though.
• Will Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson be able to play in the Wild Card Round vs. the Cincinnati Bengals? That’s up in the air, but things aren’t looking good for the dual-threat signal-caller. According to Rapoport, Jackson is facing an ‘uphill battle’ to get himself ready for the matchup.
This content was originally published here.